Saturday, October 4, 2014

Autumn

I love the beginning of  fall.

Unlike 99% of the teachers I know who are breathlessly anticipate summer vacation, summer vacation for me (although very needed) means that I am at the mercy of heat and humidity which are two of my worst triggers for asthma. So I although  I enjoy some summers when there is a nice mix of good and bad days, there are  summers where I am a prisoner of air conditioning.

I don't know if I've revealed myself as a list maker, but it's a habit bordering on a compulsion.

 Fall to Do and to Enjoy list:

Update wardrobe-  the summer purge uncovered some hidden clothes that have come back into style.
I knew it would happen!  But fall clothes- yes!  I'm sick of sleeveless tops and bare legs.

Spice cookies- I love that Susan Branch recipe.  Those cookies freeze so well and I generally don't freeze cookies, but 10 seconds in microwave and it's like freshly baked.

Tights- I love wearing tights. Time to scout out new ones, unearth the old.  I scored a bunch at Old Navy for 99% off this summer, so it's time to get 'em out!  I've always had skinny legs, so I am all about tights. And- under the heading too much info- my leg shaving schedule gets pushed back. Waaaaay back ...McGilla Gorilla back.


Fall food- My family knows this and tolerates this and I think they secretly agree with this- but I think certain foods should only be consumed during certain times of the year. Fall foods to me means comfort food- which covers a wide variety of the foods I love cooking and consuming. I am all over this.

School- Once those first hellish weeks of school are under our belts, I love this time of year with the kids. We've established our procedures, there are so many fun activities I can sneak into our day, books to read to start building enthusiasm for reading, getting to know kids individually....I especially love teaching at this time of year.

Pillow project- Still deep into designing, needle working, and sewing pillows. After the set for Alissa I am just finishing up a set for Barbara and Nick's new home.  I've started making pillows for my friends with grandkids- a pillow for each child with their name and birth date.  Mentally I am designing pillows for winter and Christmas. I actually have a callus on my thumb. If this continues unchecked in two years everyone I know will be hiding from me for fear of a drive by pillow drop.

Pumpkin Patch and Farmers' Market- Haven't been down to our local farmer's market since the  first week of June, but definitely going to get in a few visits. we have such a cool location right next to the Mississippi River. And then trips out to the old pumpkin patch!  We had so much fun with our kids at the pumpkin patches over the years, maybe I need to borrow some nieces and go again.



Michael and Barbara- October 1993

And enough of sundown at 8:00.  I love that enveloping feeling of  an early evening.


No comments:

Post a Comment